BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?

2011-04-28 03:44:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc users list <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:42:08 +0200
also sprach Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> [2011.04.20.2001 +0200]:
> We'd all like to be able to choose an existing *pool file* as
> reference - this would save us transfers of *any* file already
> existing in the pool (e.g. from other hosts). Unfortunately, this
> is technically not possible without a specialized BackupPC client.
[…]
> I hope that clears things up a bit.

Yes, thanks!

also sprach Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> [2011.04.21.0707
+0200]:
> Holger Parplies wrote at about 20:01:28 +0200 on Wednesday, April 20, 2011:
>  > 4.) There *was* an attempt to write a specialized BackupPC client
> (BackupPCd)
>  >     quite a while back. I believe this was given up for lack of human
>  >     resources. I always found this matter rather interesting, but I've
> never
>  >     gotten around to even taking a look at the code, let alone do anything
>  >     with it.
>  >
> Interesting... it might be worthwhile to revisit this in the context
> of the new BackupPC ver 4. In particular, with ver 4 using full file
> md5sums (and potentially maybe other sha checksums), one could imagine
> an rsync extension that in the absence of a matching file, would first
> compute the local md5sum and transmit it to the BackupPC server to
> look for an exact pool match...

Either that, or maybe it would be possible to work on extending the
rsync protocol, so that with a future version, it would be possible
to transfer additional data alongside.

"it is only the modern that ever becomes old-fashioned."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net