BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-09 01:30:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:28:47 -0700
Was the conclusion that you could or could not rsync a logical volume? And even
if so, what are the speeds to run checksums on a device and compare it with
another device? I've got an iSCSI target setup and had a few ideas, all of
which failed. Here are my findings on various methodologies or possible
solutions to backing up BackupPC's data.

:: lvm2 ::

I was hoping to do something like a pvmove but copy the logical volume; that
one failed because there's no way to do it.

:: rsync ::

I thought about rsyncing devices using "--copy-devices", but you'd have to get
a patched rsync to do it and word on the street is, it only works well for
devices 2GB and under. Copying an lvm snapshot using rsync would still be just
as bad so this, also, won't work.

The absolute only way to get rsync to play nice is to break it down into
multiple operations and save the checksum table to disk instead of memory and
allow it to be usable like that or else you will lose all the hard linking.
Either this would be another program completely like Unison, or it'd require
some heavy additions to rsync's codebase. It's just not going to happen.

Now, if you had a filesystem that supported block-level dedup on the backup end
of all of this, it would be more feasible to depend on that along side rsync
provided it worked like I'm assuming.

:: ddsnap ::

Then I thought maybe I could find something else when I came upon an age-old
ddsnap project harking back to the now-defunct Zumastor. Since this project's
been out of commission since Hardy, I believe it's a no-go.

:: mdadm ::

I could try adding the drive into the Linux Software RAID1 mirror, but that
would slow down all transfers because if the iSCSI target I'm writing to are
being written to, that will slow down writes of all these really small files
with hardlinks on top of that. No matter what, I can't imagine any sort of
non-block-level sync associated with RAID1 being anywhere useful over Ethernet
when BackupPC's being used. And what if I restart the iSCSI target machine etc?
Doesn't seem workable.

:: DRBD ::

Here comes DRBD. I absolutely have no clue how to use this and usage examples
online are scarce. The an up-side to DRBD is that it's going to act like a
RAID1 mirror, but that it works at the block level which will speed up
transfers greatly. The next good thing about it is it's able to work
asynchronously. Right there, I have a capable solution with may or may not work
for me. From what I've seen, it's really designed for high availability
clustering and requires both sides to have DRBD for it to be useful. Since I'm
backing this up to an embedded FreeBSD 7.3 box which does not have DRBD, the
iSCSI target comes to mind as a capable solution; yet, it almost seems
impossible because this machine has to be both the sending and receiving end. I
don't quite know yet if this will really be worthwhile or not or if I can even
get it working.

:: Final Thoughts ::

I hope that helps anyone trying to figure out how insane this is. My last idea
is to either way for BackupPC4 which uses a database or write my own. I'm
backing on the latter because that's the quickest way to get something
worthwhile accomplished.