BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup

2010-06-08 12:18:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:25:06 -0500 (CDT)
Hi,

As of today, I have all my Windows Servers being backed up via rsync (not
rsyncd) and ssh.  I can now manage my Linux and Windows backups the same way.

My solution doesn't require dosdev.exe, it uses vshadows ability to map a
shadow copy to any directory.

BackupPC ssh's into the windows box and runs my bash script 'pre-backuppc.sh',
then ssh's in to do the rsync backup, and when done, ssh's in runs
post-backuppc.sh.

I borrowed some stuff from other peoples scripts (specifically the 'at' command
stuff to get permissions to run vshadow.exe), and the rest is really simple.

If anyone is interested, I can post the scripts here, and how I setup cygwin 1.7

Gerald