BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup

2010-06-08 13:22:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup
From: Trey Nolen <support AT internetpro DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:20:52 -0500
Me too...Although we have been using rsync instead of rsyncd since the new Cygwin came out, it is always nice to see some other ways of doing things.  We are using diskshadow (on 2008) to backup things like Exchange 2007.

Trey Nolen

Bruce wrote:
I'm interested :)

Gerald Brandt wrote:

Hi,

As of today, I have all my Windows Servers being backed up via rsync (not rsyncd) and ssh.  I can now manage my Linux and Windows backups the same way.

My solution doesn't require dosdev.exe, it uses vshadows ability to map a shadow copy to any directory.

BackupPC ssh's into the windows box and runs my bash script 'pre-backuppc.sh', then ssh's in to do the rsync backup, and when done, ssh's in runs post-backuppc.sh.

I borrowed some stuff from other peoples scripts (specifically the 'at' command stuff to get permissions to run vshadow.exe), and the rest is really simple.

If anyone is interested, I can post the scripts here, and how I setup cygwin 1.7

Gerald