BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup

2010-06-08 13:59:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:06:42 -0500 (CDT)
Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Gerald Brandt wrote at about 11:25:06 -0500 on Tuesday, June 8, 2010:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As of today, I have all my Windows Servers being backed up via rsync
> > (not rsyncd) and ssh. I can now manage my Linux and Windows backups
> > the same way.
> >
> > My solution doesn't require dosdev.exe, it uses vshadows ability to
> > map a shadow copy to any directory.
>
> Are you using XP? If so, I am curious how you use vshadow to map to a.
> directory. My understanding is that that is only possible in later OS
> versions which is why dosdev was necessary to make things work in XP>

I only use rsync for my servers.  Desktops use samba shares, and I only backup
a specific directory or two.

> > BackupPC ssh's into the windows box and runs my bash script
> > 'pre-backuppc.sh', then ssh's in to do the rsync backup, and when
> > done, ssh's in runs post-backuppc.sh.
> >
> > I borrowed some stuff from other peoples scripts (specifically the
> > 'at' command stuff to get permissions to run vshadow.exe), and the
> > rest is really simple.
>
> Well as the author of the 'at' command trick, I will say that getting
> that working is the trickiest part. Dosdev just adds a few lines and
> doesn't really make the code that much more complex.

There you are!  I couldn't find you on subsequent Google searches.  I'd agree,
if I had to figure out to run 'at' to get permissions, I wouldn't have been
able to.

> Also, for me, much of the code really does error checking and
> housekeeping to make sure that rsyncd processes don't collide and that
> rsyncd and vshadow mounts are appropriately taken down and cleaned up
> at the end of the backup and more importantly at the end of *failed*
> backups. Otherwise, backuppc either will abort subsequent backups or
> worse will end up backing up an old shadow mount or a missing (i.e.,
> empty) shadow mount.

Since I use rsync instead of rsyncd, I don't think I have that problem.  Unless
BackupPC's post command isn't run if there is a failure?