BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup

2010-06-08 13:01:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup
From: daniel <danniel.co AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 19:58:58 +0300
Me too :)

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Gerald Brandt wrote at about 11:25:06 -0500 on Tuesday, June 8, 2010:
 > Hi,
 >
 > As of today, I have all my Windows Servers being backed up via rsync (not rsyncd) and ssh.  I can now manage my Linux and Windows backups the same way.
 >
 > My solution doesn't require dosdev.exe, it uses vshadows ability to map a shadow copy to any directory.

Are you using XP? If so, I am curious how you use vshadow to map to a
directory. My understanding is that that is only possible in later OS
versions which is why dosdev was necessary to make things work in XP>

 > BackupPC ssh's into the windows box and runs my bash script 'pre-backuppc.sh', then ssh's in to do the rsync backup, and when done, ssh's in runs post-backuppc.sh.
 >
 > I borrowed some stuff from other peoples scripts (specifically the 'at' command stuff to get permissions to run vshadow.exe), and the rest is really simple.

Well as the author of the 'at' command trick, I will say that getting
that working is the trickiest part. Dosdev just adds a few lines and
doesn't really make the code that much more complex.

Also, for me, much of the code really does error checking and
housekeeping to make sure that rsyncd processes don't collide and that
rsyncd and vshadow mounts are appropriately taken down and cleaned up
at the end of the backup and more importantly at the end of *failed*
backups. Otherwise, backuppc either will abort subsequent backups or
worse will end up backing up an old shadow mount or a missing (i.e.,
empty) shadow mount.

So yes, you can make it simpler, but it may be at the cost of
reliability and robustness.

 > If anyone is interested, I can post the scripts here, and how I setup cygwin 1.7
 >
 > Gerald

Daniel Corabian
Linux System Administrator
Newservers.Inc.
Mobile: +40-742-391927
E-mail:  danniel_co AT yahoo DOT com, daniel AT newservers DOT com