BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup

2010-06-08 14:52:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Complete cygwin/VSS/rsync solution for Windows Backup
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:49:43 -0400
Gerald Brandt wrote at about 13:06:42 -0500 on Tuesday, June 8, 2010:
 > Hi,

You might want to note or check whether it works without dosdev on
XP. Also, if I remember correctly even the flags for vshadow vary by OS
version. So just something for people to be careful about or if it
does work on XP, I would love to know how.

 > > Also, for me, much of the code really does error checking and
 > > housekeeping to make sure that rsyncd processes don't collide and that
 > > rsyncd and vshadow mounts are appropriately taken down and cleaned up
 > > at the end of the backup and more importantly at the end of *failed*
 > > backups. Otherwise, backuppc either will abort subsequent backups or
 > > worse will end up backing up an old shadow mount or a missing (i.e.,
 > > empty) shadow mount.
 >
 > Since I use rsync instead of rsyncd, I don't think I have that problem.
 > Unless BackupPC's post command isn't run if there is a failure?

Well, I think you still want to make sure that the old shadow is taken
down properly to free up space. More importantly, you want to be sure
that the new shadow is set up properly or else you may have an empty
directory or have a leftover out-of-date shadow. Just something to
think about because you wouldn't want to think your backups are
working only to find out later that you are backing up either nothing
or old stuff -- and remember BackupPC and rsync/rsyncd don't know what
*should* be in the share.

This is not at all meant to criticize just some stuff to think about!

 > > So yes, you can make it simpler, but it may be at the cost of
 > > reliability and robustness.
 > >
 > > > If anyone is interested, I can post the scripts here, and how I
 > > > setup cygwin 1.7

Definitely post it & share it!