BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Restore via rsync gets stuck

2010-04-21 03:16:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Restore via rsync gets stuck
From: "Philippe Bruhat (BooK)" <philippe.bruhat AT free DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:35:03 +0200
Hi,

I had a big disk crash a few weeks ago, and since then I'm trying to
complete a restore (or even selection of small ones) that will end in
"success".

I'm restoring via rsync over ssh, and after a number of retries, most
of the files are there, so the restore should not take too long.
The issue I meet is the following: the restore seems to get "stuck".

The network transfers are minimal (a few bytes per second), and when I
type lsof | grep rsync (to try and see which file is being checked/restored),
I get:

- nothing on the sending end (backuppc server)
- a number of lines of the receiving end, among which the following

    rsync     4022        root    1r      REG        8,3 107368448   10847438
/data/home/esouche/.firefox/default/9dyh4yoc.slt/places.sqlite
    rsync     4022        root    3u      REG        8,3 107216896    5300614
/data/home/esouche/.firefox/default/9dyh4yoc.slt/.places.sqlite.UL48SN

I understand this as rsync currently restoring the file above. Using ls -l
to see the progress of the restore, I get this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 esouche esouche 107368448 2010-04-05 22:47 places.sqlite
-rw------- 1 root    root    107216896 2010-04-21 00:00 .places.sqlite.UL48SN

So, the restore is "almost done". The file size given by ls never change,
which make me say it's stuck.

Looking at the archives, I found some references to a pre-version 3 rsync,
so here are the versions I have:

- backuppc server (Debian GNU/Linux 5.0):
    rsync  version 3.0.3  protocol version 30
    Capabilities:
        64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
        socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
        append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

- restored client (Ubuntu 9.10):
    rsync  version 3.0.6  protocol version 30
    Capabilities:
        64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
        socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
        append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

I have seen this happen with other files than places.sqlite from Firefox
(which I learnt how to vacuum while investigating this issue).

I'd be grateful for any idea that could help me finish this restore with
a "success" status.

Thanks in advance,

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Virtue may not be its own reward but it's sure a lot easier to collect!!
                                  (Moral from Groo The Wanderer #3 (Pacific))