BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question

2010-04-16 11:55:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: innop AT voila DOT fr, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:52:57 +0100
Better than all 1? In theory, yes

1 - On backuppc there is no need to restore level 1 to 3 in order to allow level 4 restoring.

2 - Neither there is the issue that a problem with a lower level previous incremental backup gets corrupted and invalidate the following backups - That can not be confused with stating that backuppc is problem free.

Those are clues to say that all level 1 can be the same of 1,2,3,4. Or not.

We can say that a backup level 4 will be made against previous level 3, instead against last full.

Thus storing less differences (smaller and faster). we may think.
But that's, for sure, when incremental take space of their one, in a separate file on disk/media.

With backuppc and the hardlink process, it's not smaller, I think. An incremental will only create the files that are not on the previous incremental (*), the rest will already be on the pool, just creates a hardlink.

(*) Meaning "An incremental will only create the files that are not on the pool already". Right?

So, smaller? I think not.

Safer? Don't see why.

Is it faster? Probably, but that depends on how the process work, and I don't know to answer that.

Anyone? :)

Regards
Luis

PS: Maybe incremental is just here to make people used to "classical" backups to feel comfortable. :)