BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question

2010-04-17 07:54:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question
From: Inno <innop AT voila DOT fr>
To: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:16:36 +0200 (CEST)
You disturb me ;-) !
I summarize to be sure I understand.

Full : 600 GB
Data modify by day : 10 GB

-------
IncrLevel = 1

M | T | W | T | F | S | S | <- Day
I | I | I | I | F | - | - | <- Backup type
1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 0 | - | - | <- Level
10| 20| 30| 40|600| - | - |  <- DATA COPY BY DAY (GB)
-------
IncrLevel = 1, 2, 3, 4

M | T | W | T | F | S | S | <- Day
I | I | I | I | F | - | - | <- Backup type
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 0 | - | - | <- Level
10| 10| 10| 10|600| - | - |  <- DATA COPY BY DAY (GB)
-------
With IncrLevel 1, 2, 3, 4 i'm sure that the incrlevel 3 will be not delete if
2, 1 and 0 exist.
With IncrLevel 1, I'm not sure about that...
-------
FullPeriod = 2
IncrPeriod = 8
Also I keep two weeks of backup (and I'm sure no backup will be not delete)
-------
-------
-------
Thanks a lot :-)

> Message du 17/04/10 à 08h50
> De : "Luis Paulo" <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
> A : innop AT voila DOT fr
> Copie à : "General list for user discussion questions and support"
> <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Objet : Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question
>
> Inno,
> If files are all different, and you modify 10GB every day keeping the 600
> total, I think (pretty sure) that yes, on the 4th you'll have the original
> 600GB plus the 40GB differences.
> That with incrementals.
>
> With fulls every day, you'll have just 600GB every day, total on the pool
> (we are not minding about compression), after the cleanup.
>
> (Really hope Les don't mind me saying what he said with other words. I'm
> taking the chance to think loud with Inno.)
>
> But fulls are slower, even with rsync. That also means that with tar or
> samba are even slower. You know why?
> I'm going to go through http://www.samba.org/rsync/documentation.html.
> Something scared me first time, and I didn't return.
>
> Thanks, Les
>
> Regards
> Luis
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Inno <innop AT voila DOT fr> wrote:
>
> > But if I have many data : 600 GB for a full and 10 GB modify by day. An
> > incremental it's better ? Because if I have a differential backup I have 10
> > GB the first day, 20 GB the second day... 40 GB the fourth day... ... no ?
> >
> > M T W T F S S <- Day
> > I I I I F - - <- Backup
> > 1 2 3 4 0 - - <- Level
> > 10 20 30 40 600 <- GB

 Nouveau ! Partagez vos envies et découvrez les bons plans voyages des
internautes sur http://forums.voila.fr/