BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question

2010-04-17 08:07:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full and Incrementals Backup question
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: innop AT voila DOT fr
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:04:58 +0100
Right :)

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Inno <innop AT voila DOT fr> wrote:
You disturb me ;-) !
I summarize to be sure I understand.

Full : 600 GB
Data modify by day : 10 GB

-------
IncrLevel = 1

M | T | W | T | F | S | S | <- Day
I | I | I | I | F | - | - | <- Backup type
1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 0 | - | - | <- Level
10| 20| 30| 40|600| - | - |  <- DATA COPY BY DAY (GB)

2nd day you have 20GB different, but 10 are already on the pool. pool grows only 10GB
3rd day you have 30GB different, but 20 are already on the pool. pool grows only 10GB
You end up with 640GB

-------
IncrLevel = 1, 2, 3, 4

M | T | W | T | F | S | S | <- Day
I | I | I | I | F | - | - | <- Backup type
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 0 | - | - | <- Level
10| 10| 10| 10|600| - | - |  <- DATA COPY BY DAY (GB)

640GB
-------
With IncrLevel 1, 2, 3, 4 i'm sure that the incrlevel 3 will be not delete if 2, 1 and 0 exist.

It will be the other way around. 0,1,2 will not be deleted if 3 exist

With IncrLevel 1, I'm not sure about that...

You may be making things more complicated that they are.

You set
FullKeepCnt = 3
IncrKeepCnt = 10

3 full and 10 incremental are guarantied. There will be more if needed

You may use the exponential expiry, but the idea is the same.

-------
FullPeriod = 2
IncrPeriod = 8

That means you do a full every 2 days and one Incremental every 8 days. It has nothing to do with keeping or deleting.

You'll want something like
FullPeriod = 6.97   # (1 every 7 days)
IncrPeriod = 0.97   # (1 every day)

Also I keep two weeks of backup (and I'm sure no backup will be not delete)

So you want
FullKeepCnt = 3    # (thats two weeks divided by FullPeriod=6.97 and 1 extra. It could be 2)
IncrKeepCnt = 15  # (15 days)

That's the basic. Can't be messed with other confs. I do believe that, backuppc is well done :)

-------
-------
-------
Thanks a lot :-)