BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs

2010-04-12 14:05:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Bruce <bruce AT sqls DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:02:14 -0700
Bruce,

> BackupPC_serverMesg status info
>
> The command just hangs. The strace information I provided shows that
> it's hanging when trying to read input from the backuppc daemon.

By default the BackupPC programs use a unix-domain socket to
communicate with the BackupPC server.  Perhaps the unix-domain
socket is broken on this system?

You can use a TCP socket instead by setting $Conf{ServerPort} to
an available port number (typically > 1024).  You should also
set $Conf{ServerMesgSecret}.

However, the code always tries to connet using the unix domain
socket first, so you need to disable that part of the code.  Look
in lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm, and in the function ServerConnect(),
replace this code:

    #
    # First try the unix-domain socket
    #
    my $sockFile = "$bpc->{LogDir}/BackupPC.sock";
    socket(*FH, PF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)     || return "unix socket: $!";
    if ( !connect(*FH, sockaddr_un($sockFile)) ) {

with

    #
    # First try the unix-domain socket
    #
    my $sockFile = "$bpc->{LogDir}/BackupPC.sock";
    #socket(*FH, PF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)     || return "unix socket: $!";
    if ( 1 ) {

You will need to restart BackupPC after making these changes.

Craig