BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: browsing Archive backup

2010-04-12 12:55:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: browsing Archive backup
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:52:54 -0400
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:01:01 +0200, "Antonio Ramos Recoder (MONTREL S.
A.)" <antonio.ramos AT montrel DOT es> wrote:
> Hi, i am a new user. I just make a archive backup because i like
> to write it in a dvd. My question is: can i read de archive dvd with
> backuppc cgi? and how a can read it?.

I think the short answer is "No - you can't read it with the cgi" and the
long answer is: you don't want to, anyway.

Backuppc uses an internal "pool" of files to make all the backed-up data
areas for the backed-up clients viewable from the cgi and restorable from
cgi and command line utils. These files are compressed and name-mangled
making them not suitable for a "bare-metal" restore[1].

The purpose of a archive is to create raw tarballs from files in the pool
which represent the real state of files on the backed-up client at the time
of backup. These tarballs are readable from standard GNU utils and _are_
suitable for restoring files without the help of backuppc.

Hence - you should never need to browse files on an archive -- the files
on an archive are merely a copy (in GNU tar format) of a particular backup
in the pool that *IS* browsable from the cgi.

-Josh

[1] - okay, not _truely_ bare-metal as the OS must be installed, but the
point is backuppc isn't required.

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.