BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How big is your backup?

2009-12-23 15:40:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How big is your backup?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:37:34 -0600
Gerald Brandt wrote:

>  > The backuppc archive host setup is (a) somewhat hard to automate, and
>  > (b) gives a complete tar image per host.  You not only lose the history
>  > here but you have to store multiple copies of anything redundant.  If
>  > you back up many machines storing copies of the same large files it is
>  > possible that a single archive export will be larger than the whole
>  > stored (and pooled) history of the machines.  On the other hand, you
>  > don't need any special tools to recover the exported tar copy.
>  >

> Hi,
>
> That's pretty much what I believed happened.  Offsite backups is one of
> BackupPC's weaknesses, and I was comfortable with the shortcomings of
> the archive.
>
> If anyone has something that is better, faster, cleaner, etc, I'm all
> ears.  But I've been following the threads and haven't seen anything
> that would work for me yet.

Depending on the size of your filesystem, you might be able to make an
image copy onto an external drive or raid.  Or create it as a raid with
an extra 'missing' device that you periodically add and re-sync.  You'd
want at least two spare devices so they don't have to be in the same
place at the same time with the live copy.