BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How big is your backup?

2009-12-23 13:41:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How big is your backup?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:39:02 -0600
Gerald Brandt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing backups with BackupPC for quite a few years, mainly
> backing up 2 or 3 servers.
>
> I've recently installed BackupPC at the office and am backing up 6
> servers right now, with room to grow.  The current backup (Veritas
> BackupExec) keeps around a year of data, which is close to 2.5 TB.
> Since I plan on phasing out Veritas for BackupPC, I'm looking at similar
> sizes for my data.  All my backups will be via ssh/rsync and
> Samba/Windows shares.
>
> How many servers and how much data do you backup using BackupPC?

The space you need will depend will depend more on the rate of change
and the amount of duplication than anything else.  Files that don't
change will only require space for one copy, regardless of how many
backups you keep or how many machines have copies of it.  On the other
hand, large files that have even small changes (databases, mailboxes,
growing logfiles, etc.) will require the space for a complete new copy
on each run.

At the moment, my summaries say:
There are 17 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:
* 38 full backups of total size 1204.27GB (prior to pooling and
compression),
* 97 incr backups of total size 477.74GB (prior to pooling and
compression).
and:
* Pool is 418.86GB comprising 2276046 files and 4369 directories (as of
12/23 02:04),
* Pool file system was recently at 78% (12/23 12:27), today's max is 87%
(12/23 01:15) and yesterday's max was 85%.

Which are fairly consistent numbers, but I only keep a few weeks of
history which are already filled.