BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up Macs

2009-12-23 15:38:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up Macs
From: Tony Schreiner <schreian AT bc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:53:47 -0500
I find in my setup the Macs are backed up very slowly compared to the
other Linux systems. It's so bad that there must be something I can
change. I'm using rsync over ssh all around.

Incremantals of MacBooks Pro take 4-6 hours, compared to 20 minutes to
1 hour for the Linux systems, everything over 100 Mbit.  The Macs for
sure don't  have more data or more files, static or dynamic than the
Linux systems; quite a lot less in most cases. It can take a whole
hour between the time the connection is made to the client, until the
first directory is actually created on the server backup store. I'm
puzzled by this.

Tony Schreiner