BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?

2009-04-10 17:24:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:20:52 -0500
Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:30:56PM +0200, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>> [cut]
>>
>>> You need regular full backups as a means to *cut down* the
>>> traffic. Search the archives for countless explanations of
>>> why this is so. There's also an incorrect explanation in the
>>> Wiki which I'll correct once I get around to it.
>> So you are telling me that *in fact* there is just ONE full backup being
>> done (the very first time), right?
>> Well, what about the "full backups" being made every "$Conf{FullPeriod}
>> = 6.97;"? What is being rsynced in that case?
>>
> The terms "full" and "incremental" lose their meaning a little bit when using
> rsync or rsyncd.  A "full" when using any other method does mean that it
> re-transfers every file.  For rsync and rsyncd, though, it does not mean that.

Also, the transfer and storage are somewhat decoupled from the usual
full/incremental concepts.  Rsync/rsyncd only transfer the differences
after the first run, but changed files are reconstructed and stored as a
new file on the server.  The other transfer methods use timestamps to
chose what to copy for incrementals and transfer fresh copies of
everything for fulls.  After the transfer with all methods, files that
match already-pooled content are discarded and replaced with a link to
the pool so additional copies do not take much additional space.