BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?

2009-04-10 06:58:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:47:48 +0200
Hi,

Boniforti Flavio wrote on 2009-04-10 11:53:05 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] How to
simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?]:
> As I'm reading further the docs, some questions arise.
> I want to use BackupPC to simply sync remote hosts, which store from 5GB
> to 30GB of data. As I'm using xDSL WAN connections (public internet, of
> course using ssh) you can understand that it's *not* feasible to do any
> FULL backup.

that is why you are using rsync. Once the first backup is in place, unchanged
files won't be transferred again, and for changed files only the delta as
determined by rsync. That is true for both full and incremental backups. Full
backups just go to more trouble to determine whether file content has changed.

You need regular full backups as a means to *cut down* the traffic. Search the
archives for countless explanations of why this is so. There's also an
incorrect explanation in the Wiki which I'll correct once I get around to it.

> Therefore I've already taken to my place the whole data
> structure by means of an external USB HDD.
> Once I have those data stored by BackupPC in its first FULL backup, I
> simply want to have a synchronized/mirrored copy of what on the
> remothost is stored. This means that:
>
> A) when remote files get deleted, they need to get deleted on my
> BackupPC server too;
> B) when remote files get added, they need to be added on my BackupPC
> server too;
>
> Same thing has to work with directories and of course if files are
> simply "updated" on the remote host, they have to be copied over.
>
> Is this kind of behaviour achievable?

It's the default. It's what everyone wants. (Supposing you don't really object
to also having a backup history.)

To answer the implied question which you explicitly ask in the other thread:
the '--delete*' options are meaningless to BackupPC because BackupPC manages a
history of backups rather that one simple flat mirror.
Nothing has to be deleted (except expired backups, but that's a different
topic altogether), because you get a new backup view every day (or rather
every time you do a backup). BackupPC doesn't modify the last days backup by
deleting files that have vanished on the client, it rather constructs a new
view, in which those files do not appear (well, that is true only for rsync
backups, because for tar/smb it simply is not possible to track vanished files
in incremental backups).

So, don't worry, stick with the default values, observe how they perform for
your setup, and *then* modify them if they don't exactly fit your needs.

Regards,
Holger