BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?

2009-04-10 11:43:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:31:48 +0200
Hi,

Boniforti Flavio wrote on 2009-04-10 14:30:56 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How
to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?]:

> > You need regular full backups as a means to *cut down* the
> > traffic. Search the archives for countless explanations of
> > why this is so. There's also an incorrect explanation in the
> > Wiki which I'll correct once I get around to it.
>
> So you are telling me that *in fact* there is just ONE full backup being
> done (the very first time), right?
> Well, what about the "full backups" being made every "$Conf{FullPeriod}
> = 6.97;"? What is being rsynced in that case?

after more searching in my outbox than I had thought would be necessary, let
me quote two past messages where I tried to explain this:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20070710021249.GG25826
AT mail.parplies DOT de
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20080903222356.GN28432
AT gratch.parplies DOT de

(you might also want to look at the rest of the threads quoted).

> My main concern is that BackupPC's job results in having an exact
> mirrored copy of the remote Windows client.

That's its job, and that's what it will do. Note, again, that "incremental
backup" means "faster, but possibly slightly less accurate".

> Let me check if I
> understood it right: if on the remote host a file gets deleted, then
> BackupPC won't delete it. Instead it will simply "hide it" when browsing
> through it's directory structure, right?

Necessarily. In the backup from today, you won't find the file, whereas in the
backup from yesterday, it will still be there.

> BTW: could you please send me the default
> values for the "RsyncRestoreArgs"? I may have played with them too, want
> to check and set them back to default.

3.1.0 config.pl:

        $Conf{RsyncRestoreArgs} = [
                    #
                    # Do not edit these!
                    #
                    '--numeric-ids',
                    '--perms',
                    '--owner',
                    '--group',
                    '-D',
                    '--links',
                    '--hard-links',
                    '--times',
                    '--block-size=2048',
                    '--relative',
                    '--ignore-times',
                    '--recursive',

                    #
                    # Rsync >= 2.6.3 supports the --checksum-seed option
                    # which allows rsync checksum caching on the server.
                    # Uncomment this to enable rsync checksum caching if
                    # you have a recent client rsync version and you want
                    # to enable checksum caching.
                    #
                    #'--checksum-seed=32761',

                    #