BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?

2009-04-10 08:36:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to simply "sync" and not do full/incremental backups?
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:30:56 +0200
[cut]

> You need regular full backups as a means to *cut down* the
> traffic. Search the archives for countless explanations of
> why this is so. There's also an incorrect explanation in the
> Wiki which I'll correct once I get around to it.

So you are telling me that *in fact* there is just ONE full backup being
done (the very first time), right?
Well, what about the "full backups" being made every "$Conf{FullPeriod}
= 6.97;"? What is being rsynced in that case?

[cut]

> > Is this kind of behaviour achievable?
>
> It's the default. It's what everyone wants. (Supposing you
> don't really object to also having a backup history.)

Well, some sort of "backup history" will eventually be done separatedly
on a tape drive (like 1 tape per week or so, anyway on some *removable*
media).
My main concern is that BackupPC's job results in having an exact
mirrored copy of the remote Windows client.

[cut]

> BackupPC doesn't modify the last days backup by deleting
> files that have vanished on the client, it rather constructs
> a new view, in which those files do not appear (well, that is
> true only for rsync backups, because for tar/smb it simply is
> not possible to track vanished files in incremental backups).

Ah, now I understand a bit more: not wanting to go into deep details,
the main "trick" about BackupPC is that it just *shows* me only the
files which actually are present on the remote host. Let me check if I
understood it right: if on the remote host a file gets deleted, then
BackupPC won't delete it. Instead it will simply "hide it" when browsing
through it's directory structure, right?

> So, don't worry, stick with the default values, observe how
> they perform for your setup, and *then* modify them if they
> don't exactly fit your needs.

Yes, I'll follow this scheme. BTW: could you please send me the default
values for the "RsyncRestoreArgs"? I may have played with them too, want
to check and set them back to default.

> Regards,
> Holger

Many thanks Holger!