BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How do the files look like when transferred?

2009-04-10 12:18:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How do the files look like when transferred?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:06:43 +0200
Hi,

first of all, could we perhaps agree on one thread? They're all about the same
issue, and it's getting confusing.

Adam Goryachev wrote on 2009-04-11 00:34:38 +1000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How do
the files look like when transferred?]:
> Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> > I'm about to import data from the actual filesystem, which in my case is
> > on /mnt/remote/Omv ...
> >
> > [cut]
> >
> >>    appears at /mnt/cdrom/import/dir/file). Let's try adding
> >> this to remote.pl:
> >
> > When you say *adding*, do you actually mean to add following lines at
> > the end of the config.pl? Or would it be better so *substitute*
> > (temporarily) the defined parameters?

as Adam explained, it makes no difference. I had intentionally said "adding",
because it's easier to clean up afterwards. Put a line like

        # temporary modifications for initial import start here

in front of your modifications, add the modifications behind that, and when
the import backup is done, just remove everything from that line to the end
of the file again. Sure, modifying values is cleaner and more readable. You
can also copy the file first, then modify it, and later move the copy back
to the original name. Whatever fits your taste.

> [...]
> > And tell me also if you already tried this,
> > because otherwise I would do it and report back (with your support and
> > "guidance", of course!).

No, I haven't tried it yet. Feel free to ask if there are any problems.

> [...]
> Please read the FAQ/Documentation, a lot of the above is explained
> better and in more detail there.

This part is important. I think it would have saved you a lot of time already,
and it may still give you a much clearer idea of what BackupPC can do for you.

Boniforti Flavio wrote on 2009-04-10 17:02:57 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How
do the files look like when transferred?]:

> Oh, OK: didn't know that if the same parameter is being set more than
> once in a "host.pl" file, only the *last* occurence will be considered.

It's a normal Perl source file. If you assign the value 5 to variable $a and
then assign the value 10 to $a in the next line, at the end of the script, $a
will contain the value 10, though it will intermediately have contained the
value 5. For BackupPC, it only matters what the configuration variables
contain at the end. Similarly, you can set "$Conf {FooBar} = time;" (as long
as it's valid Perl code). BackupPC won't use a configuration variable FooBar,
but it's no syntax error. Unfortunately, this implies that typos will *not* be
detected ("$Conf {Backupfilesonly} = ..."? Syntactically fine, but useless,
because the variable names are case sensitive. Disclaimer: this is a random
example, totally unrelated to <1239250237.31177.4.camel@universe> ;-).

> [...]
> What happens if a file instead gets *changed*? Will I have 2 different
> files (say the one from yesterday and the one from today)?

Well, obviously, because you can access both yesterday's version and today's
version.

Regards,
Holger