BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC

2008-10-28 10:22:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:12:41 -0500
SamK wrote:

> FEEDBACK ON SUGGESTIONS
> * Proof of concept has been successfully established based upon using
> multiple 'hosts' and aliases in accordance with the advice received.
> * Smb has been used at this stage and rsync will be investigted as an
> alternative.
> * The ability for BackupPc administrative user to copy all backups to
> external (removable) disks for disater recovery purposes will be investigated
> once a working setup of the other items in the wish listed has been
> established.

Depending on the amount of RAM you have relative to the size of the
archive, you might be able to rsync the whole thing to a copy elsewhere
but with large archives the number of hardlinks can make this
impractical.  Otherwise you can image-copy the drive or set it up on a
mirrored raid where you rotate one of the mirrors offsite periodically.

> QUESTIONS
> 01 What are the benefits of using rsync versus smb?

Less bandwidth use, more accurate incrementals (detects removed files
and new ones copied in with old timestamps).

> 02 Does the choice of rsync or smb affect the off-site copies on removable
> disks for disaster recovery purposes?

No, the archive ends up the same.

> 03 Is the archive mechanism suitable for use as a disaster recovery tool?

'Archive hosts' end up generating a tar image. If you know how to
reconstruct from a tar image you are all set.  If you come up with a way
to duplicate the entire archive partition, you'll need an installed copy
of backuppc to access it.

> 04 Is it possible to use Samba domain accounts with backuppc rather that the
> default Apache htpasswd?

Apache has a large number of mod_auth_xxx modules for authentication.
You can do this with mod_auth_pam but it isn't included in most
distributions and there may be better ways.

> 05
> Rob Owens wrote:
>> For every "host" you configure, you must assign a user who is permitted to
>> access those backups. You can assign multiple users and/or groups.
> How is the assignment of multiple groups conducted as opposed to using a list
> of 'moreUsers'?

I didn't think you could use group names in the hosts file.

> 06 When logging into BackupPC as a user is it possible to:
>   (a) force the web page to defualt to displaying 'Browse backups'?
>   (b) remove from the left-hand side-panel under aliased hostname section;
> all options except 'Browse backups'?
>   (c) remove from the left-hand side-panel the entire 'Server' section?

If you don't log in as an administrator you only see the hosts where you
  are listed as the owner and all you can do is start/stop/browse.  But
the whole web site is generated by a perl script that you can modify if
you want.