BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC

2008-10-27 13:36:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:34:42 -0400
SamK wrote:
> ****This is an edited version of a previous post****
>

> Hi.
> I am hoping to find some advice to assist in fulfilling the following wish
> list.  The LAN is operating OK and supports both Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows
> (XP) clients.  My questions relate only to BackupPC within this framework.
> From research conducted it appears that some of the the wish list are
> standard features of BackupPC.  I am hoping that those which remain can be
> achieved by appropriate configuration.
>
> SUMMARY of LAN
> Primary Domain Controller Server
> OS = Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition
> Samba = 3.0.28a
> Share = home for each user
> Share = allusers (common area for all members of users group)
>
> BackupPC Server
> OS = Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition
> BackupPc = 3.0.0 (obtained from Ubuntu repository)
>
> WISH LIST
> 01 Users not required to initiate backups
> 02 Backup of each home and common area to be initiated from BackupPC Server
> via schedule
> 03 Users able to conduct restore via web interface
> 04 Each user able to access and restore only their own home backup
> 05 Every member of a common group able to access and restore a backup of a
> common share
> 06 Reliability of backup/restore higher priority than efficiency/speed
> 07 Ease of use by end user of higher priority than security
> 08 Ability for BackupPc administrative user to copy all backups to external
> (removable) disks
>
> QUESTIONS
> 01 Is the wish list achievable using BackupPC?
yes.  Of course, "ease of use" is different from one user to another.

> 02 Is anyone able to point to a 'how to' type guide to assist with this?
The documentation is very long, but it provides a lot of very helpful
information.  That's where I'd start.  It's apparent that BackupPC will
do what you are looking for, so reading the documentation will not be a
waste of your time.

> 03 Has any member of the forum any advice on how best to configure BackupPC
> to meet the wish list?
For every "host" you configure, you must assign a user who is permitted
to access those backups.  You can assign multiple users and/or groups.
The default setup uses your web server's user/permission scheme.  For
instance, Apache uses an htpasswd file.

> 04 Any suggestions of alternative FOSS products if BackupPC is not a suitable
> choice?

I've used rsnapshot in the past.  You could try looking into that.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.