BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] What does this error mean?

2008-10-27 17:14:00
Subject: [BackupPC-users] What does this error mean?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: BackupPC Users List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:11:07 -0400
I got the following while using 'rsyncd' to backup a Windows XP
machine:

I originally had full backups labeled '0' and '1'.
I then started a new *full* backup.
For several hundred out of a total of 141,000 files, I got pairs of error
messages of form:
Can't open /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/winsurgeon/1/fc/fDocuments and
Settings/fUser1/fCookies/[email protected][1].txt for MD4 check (err=-2,
Documents and
Settings/User1/Cookies/[email protected][1].txt)

Documents and Settings/User1/Cookies/[email protected][1].txt: md4 doesn't
match: will retry in phase 1; file removed

Then when I looked in my backup dir, I noticed that backup '1' had
somehow disappeared (and I hadn't erased it).

Not sure if that is the cause (but if so how did it happen) or effect
(if so why) of the above errors where it seemingly couldn't find the
backup '1' version for an md4 check.

Note that these errors are all confined to two groups of directories:
/c/Documents and Settings/User1/Cookies/user1@<xxxxxxxxx>.txt

/c/Documents and Settings/User2/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/Content.IE5/*/*

Also, it's not clear to me why it is even doing an md4 check against
the previous full backup since this is itself a full backup. I could
see if it checked against the pool (as part of the checksum-seed
checking process by why would it check against a previous backup?
And, these failures appear to affect a limited group of sequentially
listed files rather than randomly spread apart as one would expect with the
seed algorithm.

Note that the original files themselves *seem* to be fine...

Any idea on what might be going wrong here?