BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC

2008-10-27 12:03:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:01:33 +1100

SamK wrote:
> ****This is an edited version of a previous post****
> Hi.
> I am hoping to find some advice to assist in fulfilling the following wish
> list.  The LAN is operating OK and supports both Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows
> (XP) clients.  My questions relate only to BackupPC within this framework.
> From research conducted it appears that some of the the wish list are
> standard features of BackupPC.  I am hoping that those which remain can be
> achieved by appropriate configuration.
>
> SUMMARY of LAN
> Primary Domain Controller Server
> OS = Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition
> Samba = 3.0.28a
> Share = home for each user
> Share = allusers (common area for all members of users group)
>
> BackupPC Server
> OS = Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition
> BackupPc = 3.0.0 (obtained from Ubuntu repository)
>
> WISH LIST
> 01 Users not required to initiate backups
> 02 Backup of each home and common area to be initiated from BackupPC Server
> via schedule
> 03 Users able to conduct restore via web interface
> 04 Each user able to access and restore only their own home backup
> 05 Every member of a common group able to access and restore a backup of a
> common share
> 06 Reliability of backup/restore higher priority than efficiency/speed
> 07 Ease of use by end user of higher priority than security
> 08 Ability for BackupPc administrative user to copy all backups to external
> (removable) disks
>
> QUESTIONS
> 01 Is the wish list achievable using BackupPC?
> 02 Is anyone able to point to a 'how to' type guide to assist with this?
> 03 Has any member of the forum any advice on how best to configure BackupPC
> to meet the wish list?
> 04 Any suggestions of alternative FOSS products if BackupPC is not a suitable
> choice?

It would appear from your goals that you do not wish to backup/restore
the windows/linux client machines, you are only interested in backing up
the server, and allowing the users to control restores as needed?

You could do this by using rsync over ssh. or tar over ssh (probably the
two easiest). Then, configure one "host" per user, and in this config
set the machine alias to point to the real host name. Then configure the
path to be backed up to only include the users home directory.

I would also add a global backup for everything else outside of /home
for the admin user only...

Then, in the backuppc hosts file you can set each user + admin to have
access to their own "host".

Do the group share much the same, but list all users to have permission
to manage this "host".

Finally, you might want to set the number of concurrent backups quite
low (1 or 2) since they really all point to the same machine, and you
will just cause disk thrashing with higher numbers...

I would suggest what you want can be done with backuppc, especially the
goal for ease of use/etc. However, it might take a little effort to get
it all working nicely, so once you actually take the plunge, read the
documentation, and install the system, feel free to ask questions on the
list to fix up the final trickier areas.

Regards,
Adam