BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC

2008-10-28 08:21:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:32:54 +1100

SamK wrote:
> FEEDBACK ON SUGGESTIONS
> * Proof of concept has been successfully established based upon using
> multiple 'hosts' and aliases in accordance with the advice received.
> * Smb has been used at this stage and rsync will be investigted as an
> alternative.
> * The ability for BackupPc administrative user to copy all backups to
> external (removable) disks for disater recovery purposes will be investigated
> once a working setup of the other items in the wish listed has been
> established.
>

> QUESTIONS
> 01 What are the benefits of using rsync rather versus smb?

The benefits are basically that rsync will more accurately backup the
correct files for incr and full backups, actually, the main advantage is
when you have limited bandwidth between server and backuppc because
rsync will send less data over the network.

If both sides are Linux, then I think everybody strongly suggests using
rsync + ssh.

> 02 Does the choice of rsync or smb affect the off-site copies on removable
> disks for disaster recovery purposes?

No, no difference at all. Basically, using smb might result in some
files not being backed up in a incr, (ie, files with old date/timestamp)
and so that will produce a different archive, but other than that, both
rsync/smb/tar/any other method will result in the same archive.

> 03 Is it possible to use Samba domain accounts with backuppc rather that the
> default Apache htpasswd?

Well, backuppc uses the authentication provided by apache, which by
default, is htpasswd. You can configure apache to do authentication via
smb, and hence you can get backuppc to use smb auth. If you choose to
implement this, I would suggest working through the apache communities
on how to protect a simple html page using smb accounts, and once you
have that working, then move on to getting it to work with backuppc.

> 05 When logging into BackupPC as a user is it possible to:
>   (a) force the web page to defualt to displaying 'Browse backups'?
>   (b) remove from the left-hand side-panel under aliased hostname section;
> all options except 'Browse backups'?
>   (c) remove from the left-hand side-panel the entire 'Server' section?

Not sure, I don't use backuppc v3 yet... I know you can alter the

links to sourceforge, faq, etc.... At the end of the day, it is

all open source, so you can change anything you need. Not

that I would recommend this, since it will be harder to

maintain in the future.

BTW, please consider subscribing to the mailing list instead of posting
through backup central.

Regards,
Adam