BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC

2008-10-28 04:51:45
Subject: [BackupPC-users] REQUEST FOR ADVICE ON SUITABILITY OF BACKUPPC
From: SamK <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 04:46:53 -0400
Many thanks for the your replies.  It is always encouraging when existing
members of a forum respond so quickly to a request from a new member.

Adam Goryachev wrote:
> It would appear from your goals that you do not wish to backup/restore the
> windows/linux client machines, you are only interested in backing up the
> server, and allowing the users to control restores as needed?
An accurate summation.

Adam Goryachev wrote:
> I would also add a global backup for everything else outside of /home for the
> admin user only...
This was my intention, but omitted from the original post for the sake of
brevity.  Any further suggestions of this type will be gratefully received.

Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Finally, you might want to set the number of concurrent backups quite
> low (1 or 2) since they really all point to the same machine, and you
> will just cause disk thrashing with higher numbers...
This was precisely the type of insight I was hoping to receive from experienced
users.  Very helpful.

Rob Owens wrote:
> The documentation is very long, but it provides a lot of very helpful
> information.
I fully agree with this point of view.  The documentation formed part of the
initial research conducted to help establish that BackupPC might be a suitable
candidate for my requirements.  The number of configuration options can be
difficult for a new user of the product to know what is required to obtain a
basic working confuguration upon which tests can then be performed.  It was
from this position that the advice of existing forum members was requested.

FEEDBACK ON SUGGESTIONS
* Proof of concept has been successfully established based upon using multiple
'hosts' and aliases in accordance with the advice received.
* Smb has been used at this stage and rsync will be investigted as an
alternative.
* The ability for BackupPc administrative user to copy all backups to external
(removable) disks for disater recovery purposes will be investigated once a
working setup of the other items in the wish listed has been established.

QUESTIONS
01 What are the benefits of using rsync rather versus smb?
02 Does the choice of rsync or smb affect the off-site copies on removable
disks for disaster recovery purposes?
03 Is it possible to use Samba domain accounts with backuppc rather that the
default Apache htpasswd?
04
Rob Owens wrote:
> For every "host" you configure, you must assign a user who is permitted to
> access those backups. You can assign multiple users and/or groups.
How is the assignment of multiple groups conducted as opposed to using a list
of 'moreUsers'?

05 When logging into BackupPC as a user is it possible to:
  (a) force the web page to defualt to displaying 'Browse backups'?
  (b) remove from the left-hand side-panel under aliased hostname section; all
options except 'Browse backups'?
  (c) remove from the left-hand side-panel the entire 'Server' section?