BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get rsync digests' & 'Can't call method "isCached"'

2008-10-19 16:52:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get rsync digests' & 'Can't call method "isCached"'
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:49:28 +0200
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-19 14:58:15 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get?rsync digests' & 'Can't call method
"isCached"']:
> Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote at about 19:50:35 +0200 on Sunday, October 19,
> 2008:
>  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > > When running an incremental backup on my Linux system, BackupPC
>  > > repeatedly hangs when backing up the mythconverg mysql database for
>  > > mythtv.
>  > > [...]
>  > > Can't get rsync digests from
>  > > /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/consult/3/f%2f/fvar/flib/fmysql/fmythconverg/
>  > > frecord.MYD
>  > > (err=-2, name=var/lib/mysql/mythconverg/record.MYD)
>  > > Can't call method "isCached" on an undefined value at
>  > > /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm line 165.

a quick glance at the code reveals nothing (to me). I'll have a closer look
later.

>  > > The most disturbing thing to me is that BackupPC seems to be so
>  > > fragile in that if it encounters a problem, it seems to just hang
>  > > there (seemingly) forever without sending any error messages

I'm sure Craig will happily accept your patch.

> Now interestingly, I did a new FULL backup and now subsequent
> INCREMENTALS seem to be working. But I will keep monitoring the
> situation.
>
> I imagine that either something (maybe the attrib file for that
> directory?) was written correctly on the initial full backup (or was
> later corrupted though not likely since I'm running RAID and the
> backup is fresh). This then caused BackupPC to crash when it hit the
> malformed part of the full backup.

1.) RAID does *nothing* to prevent on-disk file corruption. RAID lets you
    recover from detected read error (which would otherwise be signalled as
    read errors, not silently ignored).
2.) Did you run the script I recently posted [1] to check the attrib files?
    I'd like to think the time I spent coding it was not completely wasted.
    If we actually found corrupt attrib files, that would be a start to
    making BackupPC less "fragile", as you put it.
    A further sanity check I should probably add to the script is a test for
    the existance of files listed in the attrib file, but that's not as simple
    as it sounds, because they may be in a preceeding backup of lower level
    rather than the same one the attrib file is in. Which makes me wonder:
    could the "backups" file be corrupted rather than an attrib file?

Regards,
Holger

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20081007041523.GB14536%40gratch.parplies.de