BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get rsync digests' & 'Can't call method "isCached"'

2008-10-26 19:38:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get rsync digests' & 'Can't call method "isCached"'
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:36:18 -0400
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 17:04:03 -0400 on Sunday, October 19, 2008:
Holger Parplies wrote at about 22:49:28 +0200 on Sunday, October 19, 2008:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-19 14:58:15 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
 > Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get?rsync digests' & 'Can't call
 > method "isCached"']:
 > > Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote at about 19:50:35 +0200 on Sunday, October
 > > 19, 2008:
 > >  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > >  > > When running an incremental backup on my Linux system, BackupPC
 > >  > > repeatedly hangs when backing up the mythconverg mysql database for
 > >  > > mythtv.
 > >  > > [...]
 > >  > > Can't get rsync digests from
 > >  > > /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/consult/3/f%2f/fvar/flib/fmysql/fmythconverg/
 > >  > > frecord.MYD
 > >  > > (err=-2, name=var/lib/mysql/mythconverg/record.MYD)
 > >  > > Can't call method "isCached" on an undefined value at
 > >  > > /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm line 165.
 >
 > a quick glance at the code reveals nothing (to me). I'll have a closer look
 > later.
 >
 > >  > > The most disturbing thing to me is that BackupPC seems to be so
 > >  > > fragile in that if it encounters a problem, it seems to just hang
 > >  > > there (seemingly) forever without sending any error messages
 >

 > > I imagine that either something (maybe the attrib file for that
 > > directory?) was written correctly on the initial full backup (or was
 > > later corrupted though not likely since I'm running RAID and the
 > > backup is fresh). This then caused BackupPC to crash when it hit the
 > > malformed part of the full backup.
 >
 > 2.) Did you run the script I recently posted [1] to check the attrib files?
 >     I'd like to think the time I spent coding it was not completely wasted.
 >     If we actually found corrupt attrib files, that would be a start to
 >     making BackupPC less "fragile", as you put it.
 >     A further sanity check I should probably add to the script is a test for
 >     the existance of files listed in the attrib file, but that's not as
 > simple
 >     as it sounds, because they may be in a preceeding backup of lower level
 >     rather than the same one the attrib file is in. Which makes me wonder:
 >     could the "backups" file be corrupted rather than an attrib file?

OK -- I just had another instance where BackupPC keeps hanging
mid-backup without warning (this is on backing up my Linux
server. So I really need to get on to troubleshooting this myself.

I tried to find your 'attrib' checking script and found the reference
here:

But for the life of me I can't find any links or references to where I
can find the script itself. Perhaps I'm being blind but could you
kindly point me to where I can find this most excellent script?

In case you are interested, here are the final few lines from running
"sudo -u backuppc /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -i -vvv" manually
  ....<several thousand files>
  create d 755       0/0        4096 var/cache/yum/adobe-linux
  create   644       0/0           0
  var/cache/yum/adobe-linux/cachecookie
  create d 755       0/0        4096 var/cache/yum/atrpms
  create d 755       0/0        4096 var/cache/yum/atrpms-bleeding
  create   644       0/0           0 var/cache/yum/atrpms/cachecookie
Can't call method "isCached" on an undefined value at
  /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm line 165.
<BIG HANG.....>