BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin rsync 3.x/sshd?

2008-10-19 15:34:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin rsync 3.x/sshd?
From: royden yates <royden.yates AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:30:49 +0200
On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 11:07 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Does anyone know if the old problem with windows/cygwin rsync hanging
> when run under sshd is completely fixed now?  After an update that
> picked up the 3.0.4 version of rsync I was able to copy a large
> directory without any trouble.

Coincidently, I am just running tests with a netbsd install on SFU 3.5
(Win XP) that has rsync 3.0.4 and succeeded in getting a 2.5 gig
directory tree backed up under backuppc.  This previously failed with
rsync 2.6.9 from both Interix and Debian Interix.

The Debian rsync did better that the Interix on a LAN but failed in
particular on WAN/internet backups. So, until I have thrashed rsync
3.0.4 under XP on many WAN based backups of various sizes I will remain
hopeful but sceptical.

As the problem manifested in Cygwin and SFU/Interix, I began to think
the problem lay with XP (pipe handling, TCP stack?) rather than Cygwin
et al. Maybe not.

Royden