BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow

2008-09-05 23:37:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 21:37:15 -0600
I guess I never thought to say this before but I run 2 local DNS servers.  I have DHCP update DNS so that I can have an acurate local name service and dont have to rely on nmb or wins.

I find that many network services run significantly faster with this setup.  I also have my remote dhcp servers update the main DNS through my VPN concentrator (this is new!) so that I can use backuppc to backup remote laptops whenever they are plugged in without any fancy trickery.  Besides, my deployment got too big to easily manage with hamachi's free service!

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net> wrote:
Andrew writes:

> ping -c 1 shipping
>
> ... the trick being it is _not_ doing nmblookup to get the IP address of
> the windows host. Instead, it's trying to DNS "shipping" using opendns.
> OpenDNS creates the same issue as my ISP's DNS: it will direct any host
> that isn't found to its own search servers.
>
> The nmblookup variable is set correctly in the config, though from
> reading the script the $host is passed to ping directly. Is there
> anything I can do to make BackupPC use nmblookup before executing ping,
> or am I at the mercy of the system's DNS? Prior to this the system had
> no DNS servers set. Now... I suppose I'd just add each server to the
> hosts file as the easiest method. I'm not going to create a DNS server
> that directly references the root DNS servers so I can tell when a
> computer doesn't DNS.

Look at "How BackupPC Finds Hosts" in the documentation.

First DNS is checked.  If it fails, then nmblookup is done
(if configured).  Then ping is used to check if the host
is alive (if configured).

You have several choices: configure your DNS correctly,
skip the ping check or increase the ping timeout.

Craig