BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow

2008-09-04 19:02:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow
From: Martin Leben <ml060223 AT leben DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 01:02:09 +0200
Andrew wrote:
> [...] Instead, it's trying to DNS "shipping" using opendns.
> OpenDNS creates the same issue as my ISP's DNS: it will direct any host
> that isn't found to its own search servers.

Hi Andrew,

This is a VERY good example of why you should avoid OpenDNS or any other DNS
service that returns bogus data when queried for non-existing hosts. They
create
confusion and breaks the principle of least surprise. Run your own caching
resolver instead and prime it with knowledge of the root servers instead.

Best regards,
/Martin Leben