BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow

2008-09-03 22:51:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 04:50:42 +0200
Hi Dan,

you might consider reading what you're replying to, which very much happens
implicitly if you don't top-post.

dan wrote on 2008-09-03 19:06:07 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow]:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Andrew <andrew AT falconsys DOT com> wrote:
>
> > A few days ago I noticed that none of my hosts are backing up. All but
> > two give the error, "no ping (ping too slow: 38.94msec (threshold is
> > 35msec))" -- or some similar ping.
> >
> > One such host is named "shipping" in backuppc. The thing is, I can ping
> > from the BackupPC server with no problem:
> > [...]
> > $ ping 192.168.111.126
> > PING 192.168.111.126 (192.168.111.126) 56(84) bytes of data.
> > 4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
> > rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.130/0.138/0.151/0.016 ms

This is the interesting line which says it all: ping times between 0.130ms and
0.151ms which is, indeed, orders of magnitude less than 38.94ms. In
particular, BackupPC::Lib::CheckHostAlive picks out the average value, which
would be 0.138ms in this case.

Hi Andrew,

> > Given that, I can't help but think that backuppc is doing something very
> > odd, but I have no idea what that might be.

it almost seems so :-|.

What are $Conf{PingCmd} and $Conf{PingMaxMsec} set to? Hmm, $Conf{PingMaxMsec}
is 35, as the error shows. You could increase $Conf{PingMaxMsec}, but that's
not a real fix.

What ping command is actually executed? It appears you need to run
BackupPC_dump with the -v flag to find that out ... (something like

        sudo -u backuppc /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -vf shipping

).

One other possibility would be that your ping times are not in fact always
that low (due to a network problem maybe). How many backups are you running in
parallel? Can you try pinging in a situation identical to when BackupPC tries
to? You could add a DumpPreUserCmd with a ping - that would be logged - just
don't forget the -c flag ;-) and possibly -w and -i.

> here:
>
> PING www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net (209.131.36.158) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51
> time=65.8 ms
> 64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51
> time=61.0 ms
> 64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51
> time=74.0 ms
> 64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=4 ttl=51
> time=92.5 ms
>
> --- www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net ping statistics ---
> 4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3005ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 61.018/73.364/92.532/12.015 ms
>
> see this ping times are 65.8ms - 92.5ms but the total times is 3005ms.

Dan, it seems you're looking at the wrong info. Ping prints a summary line
(right above your analysis), and ping doesn't get the minimum time wrong: it's
61.018ms (second ping), not 65.8ms (first ping) (just a detail, but it
demonstrates why you should look at the summary line).

> can you post your actual ping times?

No need for that.

Regards,
Holger