BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow

2008-09-04 18:17:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow
From: Andrew <andrew AT falconsys DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:17:35 -0600
On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 22:21 -0700, Craig Barratt wrote:
> Andrew writes:
>
> > A few days ago I noticed that none of my hosts are backing up. All
but
> > two give the error, "no ping (ping too slow: 38.94msec (threshold is
> > 35msec))" -- or some similar ping.
> >
> > One such host is named "shipping" in backuppc. The thing is, I can
ping
> > from the BackupPC server with no problem:
> > <snip>
> > 4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
> > rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.130/0.138/0.151/0.016 ms
>
> BackupPC should parse this last line and extract 0.138msec as
> the round trip time.
>
> To see exactly the command it is running and the output it gets,
> run:
>
>     su backuppc
>     BackupPC_dump -f -v shipping
>
> Hit ^C after you get past the ping output and parsed result.
> What ping output do you get?
>
> In the mean time increase $Conf{PingMaxMsec} to get backups
> running again.
>
> Craig

Good catch. It is doing:

ping -c 1 shipping

... the trick being it is _not_ doing nmblookup to get the IP address of
the windows host. Instead, it's trying to DNS "shipping" using opendns.
OpenDNS creates the same issue as my ISP's DNS: it will direct any host
that isn't found to its own search servers.

The nmblookup variable is set correctly in the config, though from
reading the script the $host is passed to ping directly. Is there
anything I can do to make BackupPC use nmblookup before executing ping,
or am I at the mercy of the system's DNS? Prior to this the system had
no DNS servers set. Now... I suppose I'd just add each server to the
hosts file as the easiest method. I'm not going to create a DNS server
that directly references the root DNS servers so I can tell when a
computer doesn't DNS.

-Andrew
andrew AT falconsys DOT com