BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow

2008-09-04 01:21:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ping too slow
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Andrew <andrew AT falconsys DOT com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:21:27 -0700
Andrew writes:

> A few days ago I noticed that none of my hosts are backing up. All but
> two give the error, "no ping (ping too slow: 38.94msec (threshold is
> 35msec))" -- or some similar ping.
>
> One such host is named "shipping" in backuppc. The thing is, I can ping
> from the BackupPC server with no problem:
> $ nmblookup shipping
> 192.168.111.126 shipping<00>
> $ ping 192.168.111.126
> PING 192.168.111.126 (192.168.111.126) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.130/0.138/0.151/0.016 ms

BackupPC should parse this last line and extract 0.138msec as
the round trip time.

To see exactly the command it is running and the output it gets,
run:

    su backuppc
    BackupPC_dump -f -v shipping

Hit ^C after you get past the ping output and parsed result.
What ping output do you get?

In the mean time increase $Conf{PingMaxMsec} to get backups
running again.

Craig