BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] show XferLog warning on Status page -- was Re: idea

2008-09-04 08:21:50
Subject: [BackupPC-users] show XferLog warning on Status page -- was Re: idea
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 08:21:39 -0400
Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:29:53PM -0600, dan wrote:
>> I have a thought here, thought id run it through the users list before
>> dropping it on the devs.
>>
>> My idea was to add a small step to the backuppc process to validate that all
>> files that should be transfered were transfered and automatically flag the
>> backup as a partial if there is a discrepancy.
>>
>> The idea is to simply compare a list of files with some details such as
>> mtime, size and filename. basically, have a post dump command to run a find
>> against each share to be backed up on the remote side and on the backuppc
>> side then compare the files.
>>
>> The reason for this is that I have found that backuppc can miss a file every
>> now any then without an error or warning.
>
> There should be a warning in the XferLog about files which disappeared
> during the transfer.

This is a problem that I've noticed before.  There are sometimes
warnings in XferLog which indicate that certain files did not get backed
up, but this is not shown on the Status page as an error.  At the very
least, it would be nice to have a flag on the Status page saying "look
at the XferLog!".  As it is, I have to routinely check the XferLog of
all my hosts one-by-one, which certainly isn't the quickest way of doing
things.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.