BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] idea

2008-09-04 12:04:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] idea
From: rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:03:28 +0000
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:57:39PM -0600, dan wrote:
> this was on an rsync incremental.  There was no error in the Xfers log, it
> is like the file was not there.  The atime on the file is from before the
> backup so I know the file was there.  I have only seen this one time.
>
> The idea of marking it partial is that backuppc would then kick in on the
> next wakeup and try to finish the job because there was not a completed
> backup within the schedule.   Then the next backup would have very little to
> transfer and may pick up the missing file.

Are you sure this wasn't a case of an incremental backup where the
atime/mtime on the file was from before the prior incremental?  Rsync
incrementals (IIRC) skip files that should have been captured in a
prior incremental (or a prior full).

In that case even if you marked the backup as partial, it wouldn't
pick up the file until the timestamp on the missing file was changed
to fall within the time window of the current incremental.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator