BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC skips directories

2008-07-10 08:59:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC skips directories
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter AT home DOT se>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:58:56 -0500
Peter Carlsson wrote:

> I just realise that BackupPC seems to skip directories
> during a backup.
>
> In my localhost.pl I have:
>
> $Conf{TarShareName} = [
>     '/etc',
>     '/home',
>     '/root'
> ];
>
> But the '/home/peter/Maildir' (among others) is not
> backuped. I noticed that the permission was different for
> Maildir compared to directories that did get backuped.

Backuppc is normally configured to run as root via ssh so permissions
don't matter.  Are you configured to use ssh for localhost or using some
other trick to get root access?

> I therefore changed to read permissions for everyone with:
>   chmod -R +r /home/peter/Maildir
>
> debian:~# ls -l /home/peter/
> drwxr--r-- 30 peter peter 4096 2008-07-09 22:14 Maildir
>
> But tonights incremental backup didn't make a different.

Tar-based incrementals are strictly timestamp based so they will only
pick up files that are newer than the last full even if you make changes
to the configuration.  The next full should include the files or show
errors in the log if they are not readable.