BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow

2008-05-27 19:19:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow
From: Stephen Joyce <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu>
To: Jonathan Dill <jonathan AT nerds DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:18:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 27 May 2008, Jonathan Dill wrote:

> I can think of other cases where "push" might work better than "pull"
> either for security or network topology.  I suppose if you have a fast
> enough WAN connection, you could even use something like FileZilla and
> SFTP (ftp over ssh) to "push" a backup to a server from remote, even
> use traffic shaping or bandwidth limiting in the gateway device.
> Where rsync falls down here is that bandwidth limiting within rsync
> has no effect on the "building list" phase, which will happily
> saturate your WAN connection unless the limit is imposed externally.
>
> "push" makes it easier for users with laptops that are not always on
> site to initiate, monitor, and stop the backup at their convenience
> without having to remember to share / unshare the c-drive (or stop /
> start rsyncd).  I am not too crazy about the idea of someone taking a
> laptop out in the wild with the c-drive shared or rsyncd listening for
> input.  The backup can be resumed again later when they return to the
> office, or a quick backup can be made of only the most important files.

There is a link in the backuppc wiki detailing how to use Unison to do
this "on-demand" style of backups over SSH (which are then archived by
backuppc). It works quite well for me, but I don't know if anyone else is
using it.

I even have proof-of-concept code for using VSS to backup open files using
the same method, but building and destroying the VSS copy requires that the
user have administrator access to the laptop (something which is usually,
but not always, true for all users).