BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow (Was: Re: How toBackupFilesExclude to exclude locked files on Windows XP)

2008-05-25 10:55:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow (Was: Re: How toBackupFilesExclude to exclude locked files on Windows XP)
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Hendrik Friedel" <hen_mail AT web DOT de>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 08:55:14 -0600
Samba will copy the every file in it's entirety eating up bandwidth! and it doesn't work remotely very well.  It also is delivered via an abstraction layer to the filesystem so you can't pull over permissions, every file ends up having the permissions assigned to the samba share, and ownership changes.  samba is good for some things but not others.

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Hendrik Friedel <hen_mail AT web DOT de> wrote:
Dear Kurt, dear all,

I have the same Problem. The backuppc performance is really poor with rsync.
Have you tried samba for the transfer?

> PS: To give at least something back to this community, I
> thought about writing down my experiences (from a beginners
> point of view), I hope this is the right place:
> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/CommonConfigurationIssues
> If not feel free to flame me :-0

Nice. Why do you install cygwin instead of using the package you can get on
the backuppc homepage?

Greetings,
Hendrik