BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow

2008-05-27 12:16:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow
From: Jonathan Dill <jonathan AT nerds DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:15:59 -0400
Rather than missing locked files, and also rsync being fairly resource
intensive (and slow) this is how I am backing up Windows boxes now:

1. samba share on the linux BackupPC server
2. SyncBackSE on the Windows box does a "FastBackup" to the samba
share on the BackupPC server
3. BackupPC server backs up the samba share directory

SyncBackSE can make use of Shadow Copy and can usually backup files
that would be skipped by rsync, it is also very efficient, especially
when using FastBackup mode.  BackupPC is still essential because it
provides the "history" of the files in the samba share, so I have
backups going back several months instead of just what was backed up
last night by SyncBackSE.  It costs $30 per client, so it is not free
like rsync, but I have less problems with it than I did with rsync.
There is a free version of SyncBack, but it cannot use Shadow Copy nor
FastBackup, so that isn't much better than just using rsync anyway.

Jonathan