BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow

2008-05-27 18:29:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow
From: Jonathan Dill <jonathan AT nerds DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:28:55 -0400
On May 27, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Kurt Jasper wrote:

> Jonathan Dill wrote:
>
>> SyncBackSE can make use of Shadow Copy and can usually backup files
>> that would be skipped by rsync, it is also very efficient, especially
>> when using FastBackup mode.
>
> Thanks for mentioning FastBackup.
>
> I won't use FastBackup because:
>
> 1) it's not opensource
> 2) I can not configure what to backup from one location. Compared to
> rsyncd, I can just share the c-drive and use the client.pl-files on
> the
> backuppc server to do the configuration
> 3) it's additional software and even when it will work, it would be
> better if backuppc can handle backups from windows-clients without
> standard utilities. And using rsyncd backups are running fine :-)

In my particular setup "skip all locked / open files" did not satisfy
my definition of "running fine" so this was an acceptable (to me)
workaround, still cheaper than implementing a completely proprietary
client-server solution.  SyncBackSE is just a "smart" copy program,
files are stored in their normal format, you do not need it to do the
restore.  JFileSync and Unison are a couple Free Open Source Software
options that could be used to "push" backups in a similar manner, but
also cannot backup open / locked files.

I can think of other cases where "push" might work better than "pull"
either for security or network topology.  I suppose if you have a fast
enough WAN connection, you could even use something like FileZilla and
SFTP (ftp over ssh) to "push" a backup to a server from remote, even
use traffic shaping or bandwidth limiting in the gateway device.
Where rsync falls down here is that bandwidth limiting within rsync
has no effect on the "building list" phase, which will happily
saturate your WAN connection unless the limit is imposed externally.

"push" makes it easier for users with laptops that are not always on
site to initiate, monitor, and stop the backup at their convenience
without having to remember to share / unshare the c-drive (or stop /
start rsyncd).  I am not too crazy about the idea of someone taking a
laptop out in the wild with the c-drive shared or rsyncd listening for
input.  The backup can be resumed again later when they return to the
office, or a quick backup can be made of only the most important files.

Jonathan