BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow (Was: Re: How to BackupFilesExclude to exclude locked files on Windows XP)

2008-05-21 06:20:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow (Was: Re: How to BackupFilesExclude to exclude locked files on Windows XP)
From: Kurt Jasper <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:19:56 +0200
Ok,

thanks for (all) the information, now I understand the concept of
Rsync/SambaShareName, BackupFilesExlude and BackupFilesOnly.
You really helped me out, Thanks :-)

But unfortunately I've discovered another problem:

The backups of my windows xp clients take forever (nearly), while the
backup of the server (where backuppc is runnning) works fine. I've done
some testing and figured out that it is NOT an network issue, since I
get the full speed when executing rsync from the windows xp client.

I have transferred the cygwin directory of one of the clients (approx.
300 MB):

On Windows-Client:
rsync -av -h --progress /cygdrive/c/cygwin backuppc@server:~/
=> works fine!

On Server:
rsync -av -h --progress  root@winxpclient:/cygdrive/c/cygwin ~/
=> takes very, verrrry long.

Browsing the web, I've found out that it may have something to do with
the Cygwin Enviroment Variables. I'm currently using the suggested
settings: CYGWIN = ntsec tty.

Question:
1) So what may be the problem?
What is the best way to back up windows xp clients? I don't understand
that running rsync from CLIENT-to-SERVER runs fine, but running from
SERVER-to-CLIENT is really slow.
2) Is is better to use Samba to backup windows clients?
Some clients are  running XP (Home), so that I can not set custom file
permissions to allow access only the backuppc-user not to other clients
in the network.
3) Will rsyncd instead of rsync bring better performance?

Kind regards

- Kurt

PS: To give at least something back to this community, I thought about
writing down my experiences (from a beginners point of view), I hope
this is the right place:
http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/CommonConfigurationIssues
If not feel free to flame me :-0