Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] 'Idiots Guide' for configuring Amanda on Linux?

2008-10-23 20:39:24
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] 'Idiots Guide' for configuring Amanda on Linux?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:12:27 -0400
On Thursday 23 October 2008, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>dceola schrieb:
>> localhost.localdomain   root amindexd amidxtaped
>> localhost.localdomain   amandabackup amdump
>
>You don't need this two lines. The first two are enough in this case,
> because "localhost" is resolveable without a FQDN. But it doesn't disturb
> if they stay inside. It's just the same.

Also one should never have a 'localhost' in this list file as its a security
hole. All machine are localhost, and you sure don't want somebody to recover
your stolen tape to their machine, or for you to get confused as to which
tape goes with which machine. That however is amanda's forte, amanda can back
up the whole local network so you only need one 'server'.

>> Also, i've been getting a new email since i created the cron jobs listed
>>
> > in that quick start guide that tells me this:
>>
>> /bin/sh: /usr/local/sbin/amdump: No such file or directory
>
>Ensure that the file is there. If it is, add "/usr/local/sbin/" to the path
> of the user that is running amdump (in your case "amandabackup"). If not,
> then maybe you didn't compiled client AND server (without any special
> configure options, client and server are build).

>Regards
>Marc

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If you didn't have to work so hard, you'd have more time to be depressed.