Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and ZFS

2008-04-25 22:46:25
Subject: Re: Amanda and ZFS
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:40:23 -0400
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:36:35PM -0600, John E Hein wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote at 13:57 -0400 on Apr 25, 2008:
>  > Though I've not tried it, it should.
>  >
>  > I base that on the description of the command
>  >
>  >     /usr/sbin/ufsdump [options] [arguments] files_to_dump
>  >
>  > and the belief that the include directive merely provides the args
>  > corresponding to "files_to_dump".
>
> Ah.  Okay.  That's a solaris ufsdump feature... linux, too, maybe
> others.  It won't work for the BSDs (filesystem only).
>
> And that's _if_ amanda passes that on the dump invocation.
> I haven't tried it either or looked at the code yet.
>
> But one limitation (with solaris' ufsdump and linux's dump) is that
> you can't do incrementals using that method.  Level 0 only.  I don't
> know if amanda adds support on top of that to kludge in incremental
> support - I doubt it, but I'm someone will speak up if you can.

In the original query regarding ZFS the question was about file systems.
I don't know if dump/ufsdump would regard a relative pathname that
is a mount point as a file system.  If it did, then incrementals and
fulls could both be done.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)