Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda and ZFS

2008-04-25 10:27:15
Subject: RE: Amanda and ZFS
From: "Anthony Worrall" <anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk>
To: "Chris Hoogendyk" <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>, "Nick Smith" <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:32:27 +0100
Hi

unfortunately zfsdump, or "zfs send" as it is now, does not relate to
ufsdump in any way :-(

>From man zfs

    zfs send [-i snapshot1] snapshot2
         Creates a stream representation of snapshot2,  which  is
         written to standard output. The output can be redirected
         to a file or to a different machine (for example,  using
         ssh(1). By default, a full stream is generated.

         -i snapshot1    Generate  an  incremental  stream   from
                         snapshot1  to snapshot2. The incremental
                         source snapshot1 can be specified as the
                         last component of the snapshot name (for
                         example, the part after the "@"), and it
                         will be assumed to be from the same file
                         system as snapshot2.

     The format of the stream is evolving. No backwards  compati-
     bility  is  guaranteed.  You may not be able to receive your
     streams on future versions of ZFS.

I wrote a script to use this but I had a problem getting estimates for
the incremental snapshots.

I can not see how amrecover would not be able to restore from the
snapshot as it does not know the format used. In fact there is no way
that I know of to extract a file from the snapshot sort of recovering
the whole snapshot. This is probably not too much of a big issue as the
tape backup is only needed for disaster recover and snapshot can be used
for file recovery.

amrestore could be used with "zfs receive" to recover the snapshot.

One of the properties of zfs is that in encourages the use of a
filesystem for a logical set of files, i.e. user home directory,
software package etc.
This means that every time you create a new filesystem you need to
create a new DLE for amanda. In fact creating the amanda DLE takes
longer than creating the zfs filesystem.

You can not just use tar to dump multiple zfs filestems because amamda
tells tar not to cross filesystem boundaries.

You could probably write a wrapper to tar to remove --one-file-system
option to get around this limitation.

Anthony Worrall