Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and ZFS

2008-04-25 15:40:40
Subject: Re: Amanda and ZFS
From: John E Hein <jhein AT timing DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:36:35 -0600
Jon LaBadie wrote at 13:57 -0400 on Apr 25, 2008:
 > Though I've not tried it, it should.
 >
 > I base that on the description of the command
 >
 >     /usr/sbin/ufsdump [options] [arguments] files_to_dump
 >
 > and the belief that the include directive merely provides the args
 > corresponding to "files_to_dump".

Ah.  Okay.  That's a solaris ufsdump feature... linux, too, maybe
others.  It won't work for the BSDs (filesystem only).

And that's _if_ amanda passes that on the dump invocation.
I haven't tried it either or looked at the code yet.

But one limitation (with solaris' ufsdump and linux's dump) is that
you can't do incrementals using that method.  Level 0 only.  I don't
know if amanda adds support on top of that to kludge in incremental
support - I doubt it, but I'm someone will speak up if you can.