Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and ZFS

2008-04-25 08:42:59
Subject: Re: Amanda and ZFS
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Nick Smith <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:39:25 -0400

Nick Smith wrote:
Dear Amanda Administrators.

What dump configuration would you suggest for backing up a ZFS pool of about 300GB? Within the pool there several smaller 'filesystems'.

Would you :

1.  Use a script to implement ZFS snapshots and send these to the server
    as the DLE?
2.  Use tar to backup the filesystems? We do not make much use of ACLs
    so tar's lack of ACL support shouldn't be an issue?
3.  Something else?

Question : If a use 2 can still use 'amrecover' which AFAIK would be the
           case if I went with 1??

The host is a Sun Solaris 10 X86 box is that pertinent.

I'm not on Solaris 10 yet, and haven't used ZFS, but . . .

I understand that with ZFS you have zfsdump (just as with ufs I have ufsdump). So you could usse zfsdump with snapshots. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to modify the wrapper I wrote for Solaris 9 that uses ufsdump with snapshots and is documented here http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#Chris_Hoogendyk.27s_Example

If you have that pool logically broken up into a number of smaller pieces that can be snapshotted and dumped, it will make it smoother for Amanda's planner to distribute the load over the dump cycle.

Shouldn't have any problems with amrecover.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology Department