Amanda-Users

Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option

2005-12-24 08:54:07
Subject: Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:33:04 +0100
On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 03:22:09AM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Aside from your opinion that combos B,C, and D
> are redundant or inferior to E, what are your objections
> to allowing the amanda user to make their own flexible choice.

I have no objections.  It is just that

 - implementing redundant methods feels like waste of work.
 - having redundant methods makes things complicated, which in turn tend
   to attract bugs.
 - having redundant methods makes configuration complicated, which might
   be the cause of additional error-proneness.

When it comes to security, things should be kept as simple as possible.
Complicated things tend to get error-prone.  Errors in security-relevant
functionality is not what we really want to have.

IMHO, E should be implemented anyway, so E stands for the least possible
complexity.  Since the functionality of the other methods can be achieved
via E, adding those methods raises complexity.

Oh, I forgot to mention: everything I wrote is IMHO, of course :-)

--
No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com
-- Josef Wolf -- jw AT raven.inka DOT de --