Amanda-Users

Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option

2005-12-29 19:06:11
Subject: Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option
From: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:51:55 -0800
Brian Cuttler wrote:

The amanda disklist allows optional encryption, selected per DLE ?
Hi Brian,
the new encrypt option is added to dumptype. So yes, you can specify encryption on some DLE but not others. You can also choose to encrypt on the client *or* server side.

Can you say, never encrypt the file system(s), root, etc, with the
requisit binaries, key ring, etc and encrypt everything else ?

  yes.
Another point I want to add is that while public-key encryption allows you to encrypt the data with just the public-key and store away the private-key. It does requires more computational resources, thus much slower than symmetric encryption. And we should pay more attention to ssh as the transport encryption solution due to its simplicity to use and setup. OpenSSH version 4.3 is rumored to have native tunneling support too: http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/375

--
Thank you!
Kevin Till

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com